- Joining National Tsing Hua University's Institute of Service Science (August 13, 2014)
- Interview on Statistics Views (June 30, 2014)
- "Opening data with Kaggle": talk at #OpenDataHyd (June 28, 2014)
- "Predicting, Explaining and the Business Analytics Toolkit": Keynote at the upcoming 2014 NASSCOM Big Data & Analytics Summit (June 24, 2014)
- The Forest or the Trees? Tackling Simpson's Paradox with Classification and Regression Trees 2014
- From Quality to Information Quality in Official Statistics 2014
- Rejoinder: On Information Quality 2014
- Outcomes matter: estimating pre-transplant survival rates of kidney-transplant patients using simulator-based propensity scores 2014
- On Information Quality 2014
To Explain or To Predict?
My research examines the fundamental and practical differences between using statistical and other empirical methods for prediction compared to causal explanation and to description. Although the discussion of explanation vs. prediction has been actively pursued in the philosophy of science, the statistics literature has not considered it in a holistic way.
At a Glance
Galit Shmuéli is Distinguished Professor at the Institute of Service Science, National Tsing Hua University, Taiwan. She is also a visiting scholar at Academia Sinica's Institute of Statistical Science. Between 2011-2014 she was the SRITNE Chaired Professor of Data Analytics and Associate Professor of Statistics & Information Systems at the Indian School of Business.
||Getting Started with Business Analytics, Chapman and Hall/CRC, 2013||[Buy]|
||Practical Time Series Forecasting [2nd Edition], Axelrod Schnall, 2011||[Buy]|
||Modeling Online Auctions, Wiley, 2010||[Buy]|
||Data Mining for Business Intelligence [2nd Edition], Wiley, 2010||[Buy]|
||Statistical Methods in eCommerce Research, Wiley, 2008||[Buy]|
||Practical Time Series Forecasting [Indian Edition], Axelrod Schnall, 2014||[Buy]|
||Practical Risk Analysis for Project Planning [Indian Edition], Axelrod Schnall, 2014||[Buy]|
||Practical Acceptance Sampling [Indian Edition], Axelrod Schnall, 2014||[Buy]|
||Data Mining for Business Intelligence [Korean 2nd Edition], E & B Plus, 2012||[Buy]|
||Practical Time Series Forecasting [Chinese Edition], Tsinghua University Press, 2012||[Buy]|